Friday, April 4, 2014

[Book Review] Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)Across the Universe
by 
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder. 

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.



Buddy read with Elizaveta.. Mission complete!

description

Across the Universe is so much more than a Sci-Fi Dystopian book. It has tragedy, romance, action, and even a faction of depression that's usually found in Contemporary novels. The story itself blows your mind and as you discover more secrets about the ship, it draws you in more and more. 


Story begins with Amy and her parents saying goodbye to each other. Giving an opportunity of a lifetime, they have to be frozen, only to arrive 300 years later at a planet that was recently discovered. But Amy's dad gives her a choice: either to leave her whole life behind and get frozen or stay on Earth. What I loved the most is that she chose family.

When she gets unfrozen, she realizes that someone tried to kill her just like they have been doing with several other members. The mystery remains while noone is trying to do anything about it. Amy realizes that the ship itself is a huge mystery and Earth's history may be forgotten a long time ago. 


With all the mystery and secrets, it usually pretty obvious what happens at the end. But definitely not in Across The Universe. I did not see that coming. At all. And I'm pretty good with freaking things like that. So BRAVO to the author who made me be in the dark until everything was revealed. Definitely recommended for anyone who likes Sci-Fi and doesn't mind the world-building in the ship.

14 comments:

  1. WOW, Ellie Across the Universe sounds awesome! I love science fiction, and if there are great characters and a mystery as well, I think I'll be pretty much sold on the story. I love that Amy chose her family over her 'normal' life, too. That's not what every teen would do.
    Thanks for the great review, I've found a new book to add to my TBR mountain :)

    I hope you'll have a wonderful weekend.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to read this for YEARS but the cover redesign has made me reluctant. I don't even want to imagine how the books will look on my shelf >_< Anyway, I love how multi-faceted the story is as you mentioned; I didn't know that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get it from the library and just read it then so it won't bring down your shelf image lol

      Delete
  3. i really wanted to read this, im still not sure wether its me but another review to add to the list that has made me want to!

    em @ afternoonbookery.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always just give it a try and DNF it if anything lol

      Delete
  4. I've seen this book everywhere, I mean Everywhere. It actually started feeling like I was the only one who hasn't read this book. I don't know why I haven't read it yet. I see only good things about it, but I don't like Sci-Fi, so I'm a little wary about. However, I still want to at least try it out.
    Great review, I hope you like the rest of the series just as much :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can always try! I actually got into Sci-Fi a little awhile back but glad I did. It feels like there's always something different in that genre

      Delete
  5. I've heard great things about this one and your review make it sound even better.
    I'm reading it ASAP

    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  6. Across the Universe is one of my favourite YA books ever, but I have to say I was tiny bit disappointed how the trilogy ended. There were some twists that I didn't see coming, but my expectations weren't really met. But the first two books were absolutely fabulous! :) And the blueprint of Godspeed is so amazing - is it fan made, or? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think someone made it. Now I'm sad that the trilogy ending wasn't good. It never is anymore!

      Delete
  7. I love this trilogy! And if you think this one shocked you, just wait until the the last book. :O Blew my mind. One of the best series enders!

    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete