Monday, June 2, 2014

Mental Health Awareness Month: Intro Post


I wish I had a glass bottle of wine so I can cheer to June! I can't believe 2014 is already half way through and summer is upon us! This June I wanted to do something meaningful and decided to participate in Mental Health Awareness Month hosted by lovely Leah from Uncorked Thoughts. This month is all about reading books that are based on Mental Health subject and discussing it with everyone. I feel like this is a huge topic that a lot of people like to avoid & this is the perfect chance to take some time to better understand it. 

I thought I could start off the month by listing some of the books that I'm going to pick from and check them out. I just want to point out that I was probably one of those people who avoided this topic but now that I'm doing more research, it's something I want to be a part of.

Forgive Me, Leonard PeacockWintergirlsIt's Kind of a Funny StorySuicide NotesThe Perks of Being a WallflowerJanuary First: A Child's Descent into Madness and Her Father's Struggle to Save HerScarredThis Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl

I feel like I have to prepare myself for these books. So if I am AWOL by the end of the month, you'll know that I'm probably sitting in the corner and balling my eyes out.

But make sure you check out Leah's Intro page about the event. She posted full schedule for the month that includes Interviews, Guest Posts, & Giveaways. There is also a list of organizations where you can donate towards the cause. 

Use the hashtag #MHAMJune on Twitter when talking all things MH! 

Are you signed up? Join others to do something good this month! 
Even one review can help! 

12 comments:

  1. "I just want to point out that I was probably one of those people who avoided this topic but now that I'm doing more research, it's something I want to be a part of." <--- I'm the same. I'm really awkward about mental illness, but it is something that deserves to have awareness spread around and I do need to learn more about it. So here I am :D

    Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock and Suicide Notes are both great books. Leonard is so, so sad and wrenching and Suicide Notes, while it is sad, it is one of those funny-sad books, I guess you could say. It's hard not to smile awhile reading it! Oh, and This Star Won't Go Out! I don't believe that it is about mental illness (I could be missing something, though), but I enjoyed it a lot, though I do wish it had more Esther in it-- her writing, journal entries, and other things... I just wanted more of them!

    Wintergirls is also quite good and so is Perks of Being a Wallflower, if you are the right kind of reader :) I look forward to your MHAM Month posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment! I'm definitely going to be looking forward on checking it out and sharing my thoughts! :)

      Delete
  2. I actually really wanted to join this one because it literally looks like an amazing event! Sadly, I have way too many other books to get through. :'( After April, I got so behind on all my other books so I'm still catching up! I hope you have a lot of fun though! Well maybe the books won't be so fun but at least they'll be good right? Can't wait to see what you think of these! Will be stalking you on Goodreads. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how that feels! I'm FINALLY catching up on some books so decided this event might be interesting to attend. Thanks for the lovely comment :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck for mental health awareness week, it looks really amazing! I can't wait to read your reviews on some of these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeann! I'm excited to get started :)

      Delete
  4. You have some interesting looking books there! I know exactly what you mean about avoiding books on mental health. I mainly avoid books about depression, because 1. I get really emotionally involved when reading, and they tend to bring me right down - I find them so difficult, and 2. I have had several members of my family suffer from depression, and it was hard to see them go through it. I don't really enjoy reliving that time.

    I've read Perks of Being a Wallflower, and it's absolutely amazing! Although it's sad in places, I don't think it'll bring you down too much on the whole. It's a really beautiful book. I'll also be reading Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock, and I'm really intrigued! I have Wintergirls, but I've not been able to bring myself to read it just yet. I think I'd have a really tough time of it.

    Happy reading! I look forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment Jo! I know what you mean about depression, there are certain books that raise my emotional level to the max and I just need to take a second to chill. But I really hope you read Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock soon, I just finished it and it was very good!

      Delete
  5. Awww I know what you mean. At my worst I avoided the subject like the plague but now I force myself to be open about things - it feels so much better. If you ever feel down pop me a tweet! :) We're trying to keep things mixed up too with some light hearted challenges and giveaways! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know how you guys make sure we don't get crazy lol This is an awesome event, glad you guys decided to host it!

      Delete
  6. I am looking forward to seeing your reviews this month. I really want to find some good books on mental illness. Mental illness is a topic people avoid talking about and we should all talk about it and not act like it is some taboo thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I do feel like there's more books about it now, specially since Matthew Quick released his books. But I'm excited for this event

      Delete