Saturday, April 26, 2014

[Book Review] The Summer I Wasn't Me ‏by Jessica Verdi

The Summer I Wasn't MeThe Summer I Wasn't Me
by 
Lexi would do anything to keep her broken family together. Even if it means denying who she really is.

You are on the road to truth. Help is on the way. 

The road signs leading to New Horizons summer camp promise a new life for seventeen-year-old Lexi. Ever since her mom found out she was in love with a girl, her broken family has been pulled even further apart. But Lexi swears she can change. 

Denying her feelings is harder than she thinks. And when she falls heads over heels for one of her fellow campers, Lexi will have to risk her mother's approval for the one person who might love her no matter what.


The Summer I Wasn’t Me was disturbing, horrifying, fun, sweet, and kind of sad. It definitely played out differently than I thought it would. Every since her mom found out, Lexi knew that she had to do something. So she went to camp that was considered as "degayifying camp. Ever since her father died, she is afraid that her mom would be able to hand much more and will completely break. She is willing to go through the camp and change just to make her mother happy. Then she meets Carolyn.

New Horizons, the camp which promises to pray the gay away, is really really horrible. I have never known what exactly went on in those camps but it was really sad. Personally, I'm okay with gay community and glad they find happiness but the people that run those camps put me in shame. 

The Summer I Wasn’t Me really showed me that there are people that hope they can be normal and not feel like they are freaks. It's sad because teenagers should not go through that and just be happy and start off their life the right way. The writing and the characters were terrific, I loved it!