Thursday, May 2, 2013

[Book Review] Why My Love Life Sucks by Shevi Arnold


Why My Love Life Sucks? 
Shevi Arnold
Gilbert Garfinkle is the ultimate tech geek. He has a compulsive need to take apart, figure out, and fix things; and he dreams of one day fixing the world. But a funny thing happens on the way to the future. Gilbert encounters the one thing he'll never be able to figure out: a gorgeous, teenage vampire girl named Amber, who wants to turn Gilbert into her platonic BFF--literally forever! This leaves the ultimate geek pondering life's ultimate question: "Why me?"

REVIEW

When I first saw the book cover, I honestly wasn't sure what to expect. I mean, yeah sure there was a robot-looking thang on the cover and it looked cute but I had no idea if I would like it. When I read that it was supposed to be a book about a geek who turned into a vampire, I just HAD to read it! And I've seen some buzz around about this creation and was getting very curious.

Reading this book was actually enjoyable! Gilbert Garfinkle turned out to be super adorable geek that doesn't really know how to act around people, specially around pretty girls. I wish I could have actually seen his face when a beautiful Amber wanted him to walk her home and then bit him. Turning into a vampire changed everything. All that planning with college and how to get away from his bitch-mother was all for nothing and now Gilbert had to figure out how to get over this. If only this gorgeous Amber would stop stalking him and making him even more confused!

Hands down, a must read! Author did an amazing job with scenes, details, and the atmosphere of the whole book. It's often very hard to keep up with events, specially if it's in the humor category but Shevi really did it! And I felt like she really made sure that the reader connected with the story and related to some characters. Loved it! 4 stars


AUTHOR BIO
Shevi Arnold writes funny. She can't help it. She's been writing funny since she was a kid, cracking up her class and her teachers with her humorous essays.

In high school she studied sitcoms when she was supposed to be doing her homework, and in college she took a couple of courses in comedy and clowning, as part of her degrees in English Literate and Theater Studies. She just had to find out what made something funny.

Eventually she cracked the code, and that led to jobs as a political cartoonist, a comic-strip magazine editor, and an arts-and-entertainment writer specializing in children's entertainment and, of course, comedy.

Author links: