Saturday, March 1, 2014

[Book Review] Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)Shatter Me
by  
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.



Shatter Me in one simple drawing:

*credit to unknown artist*
Well Goodreaders, I am in shock. I heard so much good things about this book that I'm a little disappointed. I don't know where to start from... Annoying crossed out words? Psychotic characters? Or maybe Warner who is the worst villain in the history. 

If it wasn't for all the buzz that was going around, I wouldn't have read it until the end. But I'm glad I did because that is the only way I am going to continue with the series. The ending actually changed it up a little bit and actually made the Romance factor dial down. 

I MEAN: SERIOUSLY PEOPLE! How many times do you have to say "blue" in order to describe someone's eyes? Yeah we get it, you're obsessed and have been locked away for awhile. But just because you haven't looked in the mirror for years, doesn't mean you have to act like a phycho! 

Man, I'm tired... *yawn* 

7 comments:

  1. I still have to read this book :p
    great review
    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that this book wasn't for you. Hype can kill a book for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I was a little upset. oh well :)

      Delete
  3. This is exactly how I felt. Half my review was a rant about the crossed out words, annoying repetition and too-flowery phrases (and that was after I cut out a LOT). I also finished it because of the hype, and I'm glad I did - it got better about 2/3 of the way in. But very weak start imo. Glad I'm not the only person in the world with this opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thank you! I don't know why everyone was so hyped out about this one lol

      Delete
    2. I'm finding this happening to me a lot lately. I had the same experience with These Broken Stars (sorry if you're in the fan camp!) - though I really wonder if that was largely because it was SO hyped and my expectations were stupidly high. But yeah, I was disappointed. I have the rest of this series sitting on my shelf, but once I re-shelved Shatter Me and took a break to read another book, I really didn't have any desire to go back to it. Still hoping the mood will strike - but I've also read a few slightly spoilery things that have put me off a bit. I'd be interested to see what you make of the rest of the series if you continue!

      Delete