Tuesday, October 14, 2014

[This-Book-Sucks Review] H2O by Virginia Bergin

It's in the rain...and just one drop will kill you.

They don't believe it at first. Crowded in Zach's kitchen, Ruby and the rest of the partygoers laugh at Zach's parents' frenzied push to get them all inside as it starts to drizzle. But then the radio comes on with the warning, "It's in the rain! It's fatal, it's contagious, and there's no cure."

Two weeks later, Ruby is alone. Anyone who's been touched by rain or washed their hands with tap water is dead. The only drinkable water is quickly running out. Ruby's only chance for survival is a treacherous hike across the country to find her father-if he's even still alive.



After awhile, any Apocalyptic books will have a similar twist to it, either it's the zombies or some sort of sickness that ends the world. But H2O sounded promising. The deadly rain, the water all around people has some sort of bacteria that eats the people alive, turning it into intense and slow death. 

With such summary, I was excited to read it because it was something new. It started out great, with a funny narrator in a "diary" form of Ruby. She was witty and funny and I really thought that I was going to like her. Plus there was actually an explanation of why the rain might have turned deadly (umm meteor?) and even though it wasn't perfect, it went with the story. 

however...

Ruby sucks. I can't even grasp why she survived until the end of the book. I really can't. For example:

"We son't like to go outside when it's raining; we don't like drinking water (it's boring); we don't like eating fresh fruit and vegetables (because THEY are always going on about how we should)". <- explain this bs, please. Umm water is boring? Yeah okay sweetie, you're boring. 

"I would get Simon's backpack, and I would use every bottle of water or soda water or tonic water or whatever - whatever was left - to scrub and wash my skin and my hair" <- Maybe you shouldn't waste water because it's the only one you have left to drink, you dumb b****. 

"He'd said kiss me, and I'd... Oh my !!! It was too awful to think about... and in a way, it was just as well. Pretty much everyone at school must be dead because if what had happened in the spongy-snake closet every got out, my life wouldn't be worth living" <- How selfish could you be that you wish everyone was dead because you would get embarrassed if someone found out that you kissed a Geek Boy (what she calls him). Blah, killit

Sadly, I can come up with more examples about how immature and absolutely dumb Ruby is. The whole reason why my rating is so low is simply because of her. Well.. and the ending. Meh