Geedunk Magical Layer Bars
1 Hungry Survivor or Regular Joe serving
The word “Geedunk” is old Navy slang for candy, chips, and soda and reportedly comes from the sound these items made when they fell out of a vending machine. The name is appropriate here because this MRE version of the Magic Layer Bar consists almost entirely (unless you substitute the Chocolate Peanut Spread for Peanut Butter, then entirely) of junk.
I won’t lie, these pale in comparison to the pre-zpoc originals. But if they can satisfy my sweet tooth, chances are yours will be satisfied too. After all the living hell you’ve been through, your brain probably can’t even conjure a decent memory of what the originals tasted like, anyway. Yum!
The ingredients for this recipe can be found in the following 2012-issue MREs:
· Fudge Brownie: Menu #2
· Blackberry Jam: Menus #3, 9, 16, 19, 22
· Chocolate Chip Toaster Pastry: Menu #4
· Chocolate Peanut Spread: Menu #6 or Peanut Butter: Menus #3, 9, 12, 13, 14, 16, 19, 22
· Peanut M&M’s: Menu #13 or Plain M&M’s: Menu Menu #15
· Kreamsicle Cookie: Menus #6, 7, 11
Chef’s or survival knife and cutting board
1 plate or bowl
1 Flameless Ration Heater
1 x MRE-issue Chocolate Peanut Spread or Peanut Butter
1 x MRE-issue Fudge Brownie
1 x MRE-issue Blackberry Jam
1 x MRE-issue Chocolate Chip Toaster Pastry
1 x MRE-issue Peanut M&M’s or Plain M&M’s, crushed
1 x MRE-issue Kreamsicle Cookie, crushed
1. Use a Flameless Ration Heater to warm the Chocolate Peanut Spread or Peanut Butter for about a minute, to loosen it slightly and make it more spreadable.
2. In the meantime, remove the Fudge Brownie from its packaging and lay it, upside down, on a plate or in a bowl. Spread a thick layer of Blackberry Jam over the brownie.
3. Remove the spread from the heater and set aside. Carefully remove the Chocolate Chip Toaster Pastry from its package (it’s delicate!) and layer on top of the brownie. Spread a thick layer of the Chocolate Peanut Spread or Peanut Butter onto the pastry.
4. Sprinkle liberally with the crushed M&M’s and Kreamsicle Cookie.
5. Cut your creation in half and devour.