Sunday, September 7, 2014

[DNF Book Review] Unteachable by Leah Raeder

UnteachableUnteachable
by 
Maise O’Malley just turned eighteen, but she’s felt like a grown-up her entire life. The summer before senior year, she has plans: get into a great film school, convince her mom to go into rehab, and absolutely do not, under any circumstances, screw up her own future.

But life has a way of throwing her plans into free-fall.

When Maise meets Evan at a carnival one night, their chemistry is immediate, intense, and short-lived. Which is exactly how she likes it: no strings. But afterward, she can’t get Evan out of her head. He’s taught her that a hookup can be something more. It can be an unexpected connection with someone who truly understands her. Someone who sees beyond her bravado to the scared but strong girl inside.

That someone turns out to be her new film class teacher, Mr. Evan Wilke.

Maise and Evan resolve to keep their hands off each other, but the attraction is too much to bear. Together, they’re real and genuine; apart, they’re just actors playing their parts for everyone else. And their masks are slipping. People start to notice. Rumors fly. When the truth comes to light in a shocking way, they may learn they were just playing parts for each other, too.

Smart, sexy, and provocative, Unteachable is about what happens when a love story goes off-script.



I don't want to be the person who rains on everyone's parade and be that one outcast that didn't like something, but here's my opinion: this book sucks.

I'm actually kind of sad that I didn't like it. I actually tried to like it too. Feed myself chocolate to trick it into happy mood and listen to awesome music.. But hope, still didn't. And actually couldn't finish it. 

The whole aspect of teacher/student affair is great. I love sneaking around part just as much as anyone else but I think that the actual writing and characters is what set me off. The beginning was sooo beautiful! Carnaval, two people experiencing something they have never experience before, and just that feeling of being alive. 

But then we get to know them. 

Maise.. She is so rude. First thing when she meets someone? thinks if he wants to f*** her. Oh wait, he's around her age. So friends? No, she says "I'm not looking for friends". I understand that she grew up with a horrible mother but seriously. Grow up. 

That's another thing she does too. Talks about how "She's stuck between age where she's not a teenager anymore but not old enough to drink".. That's what pissed me off the most. Sheplays grow-up. Even when she went to Evan's house, she mentioned that it was a glimpse into grow-up life. Ughh that's one word I don't EVER want to hear again. 

Maybe she's just not very smart. When someone says "I like that you're kind of fucked up, because I'm kind of fucked up.", what do you have to say to that? Ummm... thanks for compliment? I'm glad we're both fucked up?

Well there's also Evan.. That man is just straight up creepy. I can see how a 30 year old can be attracted to an 18 year old but when it says that he just stares at her, I don't wanna know. 

Hmm I think that's pretty much it. Still sad that I wasted my time on this and really wish I liked it. But nope. On to the next one.